Hand pulling money out of a wallet

Owners of Unclaimed Property: CHS Is Looking for You

December 09, 2020 2:50 p.m.

Every year, CHS is unable to locate owners of liabilities such as outstanding checks and credits on accounts. Despite one or more attempts, we can’t connect with those owners to give them the funds we owe them.

As legally required after a set period of time, CHS must escheat (revert) unclaimed funds to the state. Even though the state has possession of the funds, the owner is still legally entitled to claim those funds.

If you think you may be the owner of unclaimed funds that were escheated to the state, the answers to the following frequently asked questions will help you use the claim-back process.

Q: My funds were escheated to my state by CHS. I located them in the local newspaper or online. How can I claim my funds back from the state?
A: Go to the official state website in which the funds were escheated, then find the unclaimed property section of the website. In most instances, there will be a portal/listing of unclaimed funds. Search the unclaimed property database for your funds and then download and submit a claim form as indicated by the state to the applicable department. If there’s no claim form, contact the department that handles unclaimed funds directly. The department should be able to guide you through the state’s process to claim back funds.

Q: How do I find out if I have unclaimed property in another state?
A: Go to unclaimed.org, which is a national site that contains links to 49 states and the District of Columbia.

Q: Who can claim funds listed in a state database?
A: The original owner or heirs/personal representative/beneficiary of the original owner can claim the funds listed in the state database.

Q: Is there a time limit for filing a claim?
A: No, unclaimed property is always available to the rightful owner.

Q: Who can I contact at CHS if I have questions regarding my unclaimed funds?
A: Please email your questions to CHSContactUs@chsinc.com.